Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Get in the Thanksgiving Spirit

The last few weeks have been great at the store.  We've been busy, and foot traffic has picked up tremendously.  This is the time of year retailers live for.  When I opened Host & Toast, I was a complete amateur in retail sales.  I had never even had a part time job in a retail store.  Somehow I thought my shopping addiction and my constant quest for bargains qualified me to work in the industry.  I soon realized how little I knew, and I've spent lots of time being very conflicted between what I feel I should do versus what everyone else does.

I spent last week feeling really guilty that I had not decorated the store for Christmas.  Everyone else decorated weeks ago.  It's just what retailers do, right?  Yet I could not bring myself to get into the holiday spirit.  I need to celebrate Thanksgiving before I can even think about Christmas.

It's a shame people tend to skip over a holiday that's all about gratitude to go straight to the holiday that too often becomes all about receiving instead of giving. I wish people spent more time reflecting and being thankful for all the wonderful things they have rather than worrying about what they don't.  Gratitude works wonders on mood and attitude.

I made a list of things that I'm thankful for to help me get in the spirit.

1.  I have an amazing husband who supports all my crazy notions, including opening a wine store.
2.  I have been blessed with an adopted son and a biological daughter who love each other most of the time.
3.  I live in a country where I am free to express myself as I choose.  I am also free to listen to or ignore people who express themselves in a way I may disagree with.  But it's hard to ignore it when it's all over Facebook.
4.  My home is safe, comfortable, and great for throwing parties.
5.  I can go to church anytime I want to.  And I can feel really guilty when I don't.
6.  Drinking wine is one of my job requirements.
7.  I get to spend Thanksgiving exercising my right to add another deer to my trophy wall.

I could go on, but enough is enough.  So this Thanksgiving, I'll raise my glass and toast to all the wonderful people and things I am thankful for in my life.  And then I'll get around to decorating for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment